A computer programmer living in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. An industry veteran with 20 years professional experience using languages such as C, C++, Microsoft Visual Basic, Borland Delphi Object Pascal, Sun Java, Microsoft C#, Scala and Objective-C. Languages that I’m looking to use professionally include Haskell, Scala, OCaml, Microsoft F#, Erlang and Standard ML.
Also having about 10 years of amateur experience prior to joining the profession going back to BASIC on the Dick Smith Wizard in 82 and text-based adventures (aka “go north; get chalice”) and 2D sprite games (e.g. Snakes and Lunar Lander) in BASIC and machine code on the C=64😉. Never could quite afford an upgrade to an Amiga 500 (or later models but a few friends had A500s) and finally ended up with a DR-DOS PC after university — I spent a lot of time in the computer lab🙂. In those days, I was quite partial to VAX/VMS and it’s DCL shell scripting language but that was before I was introduced to UNIX it’s Borne and eventually Korn Shells.
- application development – mobile and web apps.
- programming languages, runtime systems and operating systems – very similar beasts!
- computer games and high-performance computing.
- distributed systems – the web, network programming and highly-scalable servers.
- persistence and database management systems.